7 Touching Conference Moments We'll Never Forget

General conference: a time of year that Latter-day Saints across the entire world unite their prayers, their voices, and their spirits in sustaining and listening to God's chosen prophets and leaders. It is, without a doubt, a sacred and wonderful time for Mormons everywhere, full of many spiritual and emotional highs.

Over the years, we've laughed, we've cried, and we've made a lot of unforgettable memories. So, as we gear up for another weekend of general conference, take a little time to reminisce about some of the most touching moments in from past conferences.

This is by no means a comprehensive list. If we were to list every touching moment in conference, there wouldn't be enough room to hold it all! However, if we didn't include one of your favorite moments, please share it with us in the comments below.

When we learned why Elder Hales always wore the same tie for general conference.

Image title

After Elder Hales passed away during the October 2017 general conference, Elder Neil L. Andersen shared the touching story of Elder Hales' "tie buddy." In 2010, a little boy, Jason, watching conference in Baltimore realized he had the exact same tie that Elder Hales did. His mother took of picture of him. Six months later, Jason wore the same tie in anticipation. But when Elder Hales did not speak in the April 2011 conference, Jason wrote him a letter and sent the pictures. From then on, Elder Hales and Jason wrote back and forth, each letter signed by Elder Hales as "Your 'Tie Buddy.'" And by the time Jason met Elder Hales face-to-face in 2013, Elder Hales had determined to always wear his black tie with white polka dots for general conference. Perhaps the sweetest part of this story? At Elder Hales's request, Sister Mary Hales had Elder Andersen help her give that tie to Jason after her husband's death.  This touching story will always remind us of the great example of love and individual care our apostles are.

Read the complete story and Facebook post here.

When President Hunter continued giving his talk, despite breaking three ribs.

While serving as President of the Quorum of the Twelve, President Howard W. Hunter gave a talk in the April 1989 general conference that few would forget. Just two years earlier, President Hunter had undergone a surgery for a bleeding ulcer that nearly took his life, requiring him to receive nine pints of blood and putting him into kidney failure, according toLDS.org. That same year, President Hunter underwent back surgery, limiting the use of his legs.

But, with the help of a walker, President Hunter stood to bear his testimony at the pulpit in general conference in 1989. Part way through his talk, President Hunter lost his balance, falling backward into the choir conductor’s podium.

As soon as he was helped back to his feet, this faithful apostle (and later, prophet) continued to give his message as though nothing had happened. Later medical tests showed that President Hunter broke three ribs in the fall. 

When President Monson reached down to shake a little boy's hand.

Who knew that waving to a prophet of God would change a little boy's life or that it would make him the center of the LDS world for a day.

While at the fall 2013 general conference, Stockton Cram, then 8 years old, walked with his dad to wave to the prophet. President Monson turned and waved back at the boy, then called for him to come over, leaning over the conference center's banister to shake Stockton's hand.

"He asked if I was going on a mission, and I said, 'Yeah,'" Stockton recalled to the Deseret News. "And then he said, 'Watch my ears.' And then he wiggled them until he got out of the Conference Center."

Though a simple picture, this touching moment and the story behind it shows so much of our beloved late prophet's charisma, his sense of humor, and most of all his care and love for "the one."

Image title

Image from the Deseret News.
Comments and feedback can be sent to feedback@ldsliving.com